Saturday, November 23, 2013


Consequences of Stress on Children's Development


A stressful time I can clearly remember in my life as a child was the Vietnam war. When I was about 8 or 9, I remember my parents being worried about my brother in the war. It was stressful to see my mother worry so it made me very nervous thinking every time I heard the phone ring I just knew it was bad news. But that was just the beginning. By some unfortunate mix up another brother was sent overseas as well. Although some people do not know they normally do not send to brothers to war unless they both agree to go. It took my parents nine months to get the second brother back to the states. I think from this experience even now some times when the phone rings I get this bad feeling in my stomach like its going to be bad news.


NEW DELHI, 20 April 2013 – The rape in Delhi where a 5-year-old girl is now fighting for her life is yet another sign that urgent and concerted action is needed to make sure that girls and women in India can feel and be safe on the streets, in school, at work and at home. Recently published data show that more than 30,000 crimes were committed against children in India in 2011. The same source of data shows us that one in three rape victims is a child. More than 7,200 children, including infants are reported raped every year. UNICEF acknowledges that there might be many more cases that go unreported, and thus also go without the needed care and support.


What is being Done to Help?


Following another tragic rape in December, the Government has taken some encouraging steps including commissioning the Verma Report that translated into the passing of the Criminal Law Ordinance. Prior to that, at the end of 2012 the Government had also passed the Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses Act, which provides a framework for stringent action on such cases.
This is promising for the children of India. Yet, the law is not enough if it is not enforced effectively. The brutal rape case this week also indicates the need to strongly improve the response of law enforcement officers.

Episodes of violence against women and girls continue to permeate daily life in India. Widespread acceptance of these violations is worrisome. More needs to be done to urgently change the mind-set towards the girl child and women and put a stop to these brutal crimes. In many parts of society in India, girls are often seen as liabilities and have little to say about their lives. Girls and women need to be valued, respected and feel safe, not only within the confines of their homes but also in public spaces. UNICEF joins its many partners in India to call for change and action, immediately.


Reference


UNICEF: Press Release



I could not even imagine being a mother or father having to worry about if someone is going to harm your daughter or wife in this way. Being sexual abused can affect a child's development in many ways. Such as their emotional development, physical development and their mental state overall of not being able to recover from such trauma.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,
    I found the statistics on the number of crimes against children to be alarming. I can not fathom what these young girls and women have to endure. I know in many parts of that region that marriages of young girls still occurs even though it is against the law. I also read just a couple of weeks ago that about 47% of girls are married by age 18 and 18% are married by age of 15. This was after an eight year old girl was married off and suffered life threating injuries due to sexual intercourse. The majority of these marriages are against the will of these young girls. I am glad to see some efforts are in place to start protecting the women and young girls, however much more still needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith, I could not imagine a young girl having to see their parents suffering for the dispatch of their son; I am thankful that I don't know that is to live during a war, (never want to), but I remember having to endure the damage of strikes or violent moment while I was a little girl. I am glad that the Indian nation is taking control/awareness of the damage those little girls are suffering. nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith,
    My stomach turned when I read your story. When the war in Iraq broke out my first husband was over there. I stayed up all hours of the night watching the news, I kept my house cleaner than usual in case my doorbell rang and it was the military. When the phone rang, I always hoped it was him calling. I lived for every phone call. I had no family here so I asked the military if anything happened to tell me at work where there would be people there to support me.
    Sadly, my first marriage was a casualty of war. However, I am still affected by those experiences and have great empathy and understanding for military wives and families.

    I am sorry you went through all that. I am glad the military has the rule that 2 family members cannot be on the front at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Edith, I was deployed to Kuwait when 9/11 happened. I am not sure of the effect of my being in a war zone was on my family. I know my wife was not very happy I was there but the stress for us happened when I got home. It is sad that in the world there are still places where women and children are still seen as property. I can just hope that at some point they will figure it out that children are precious and should be treated as such.

    ReplyDelete