Saturday, April 12, 2014


Sharing web resources

 
The area I searched within the organization of my choice was the “Consultation and Community Services”. Through these services the organization feels its treatments are important and they need to collaborate with the community. The organization stress that families and kids need them. They also said “We’re happy to work with other professionals who seek training or services for their clients with attachment issues”. They also provide their research and information about attachment disorder to communities. They express committed to learning more each day. They also facilitate and conduct research on a variety of aspects of attachment disorder, and have results of several completed studies on treatment outcome and the nature of attachment disorder available in their office. The organization also lead community workshops.


Although I did not receive an e-newsletter from this organization, I did follow another one of their links which lead me to the “National Child Abuse Statistics”. The organization stated that “In America “children are suffering from a hidden epidemic of child abuse and neglect. Every year more than 3 million reports of child abuse are made in the United States involving more than 6 million children (a report can include multiple children). The United States has one of the worst records among industrialized nations – losing on average between four and seven children every day to child abuse and neglect” (Childhelp, 2014). http://www.childhelp-usa.com/pages/statistics#stats-sources

In searching for information about this week’s issues for children and families overcoming barriers the website did stress that “Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education”. So through this statement it is clear that child abuse is one issue that can be hidden as well with in early childhood education. Also it did not directly refer to the equity and excellence of early care and education but the organization does express the concern for all those working with children are to be made accountable for their outcome through finding ways to help in the development of the well-being of every child.

Furthermore, in searching through other links on the website of my choice I found that when looking at information pertaining to young children always seem to open my eyes to the harmful treatment being done to children right here in our own backyard. Therefore as educators we have to keep our eyes open to what is hidden when it comes to our children we teach and care for daily.

 

Reference

 
http://www.instituteforattachment.org/

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Edith,

    I am using many of these resources to add to my web of resources to get more information on the field of early learning and I am finding the resources you are providing to be extremely helpful and will add a wealth of information to my resource collection. I have many children in my program that have attachment issues and to have a resource that will help me along the way is more than helpful. Thanks so much for your information and research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting information on the link. Child abuse facts were very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Child abuse is very heartbreaking. The statistics that you shared seemed a little different from the numbers that I had a few years back at a staff meeting, so hopefully that means that the rate of child abuse is going down. It is something that I have been to many trainings on, and something that I have encountered, but something that I always have a hard time understanding, and it always breaks my heart. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was shocked at the statistics I found when I visited this web page. Although I know it is very prevalent seeing the published statistics makes me physically sick. I hope that all teachers whom are mandatory reporters do not hesitate, so that children in their classrooms do not become a statistics.

    ReplyDelete