Saturday, January 17, 2015



“Creating Affirming Environments”

In creating a supporting environment that support all children within my family childcare home, I would first start off by getting to know all of the families’ cultural backgrounds within my community now and in the past. I feel in getting to know the cultures within the community I will be better prepared in setting up the childcare environment for when families enter the classrooms for the first time hopefully getting the feeling of a diverse childcare setting. Therefore within each classroom setting I would first start off with the basics. I would have the typical classroom alphabets, numbers, colors, shapes, diverse games, puzzles, books, dolls, and pictures of both diverse cultures, and children with and without disabilities, helping families understand that diversity is not only about a child’s color of their skin, but a child’s differences are a much broader picture of a child’s identity. In addition I would have pictures of boys and girls in the dramatic play area, and the block area displaying different types of jobs that some children’s families would not normally consider for men or women.  I would also have a map within our social studies areas. This map would consist of highlighted areas of family cultures within our programs. Also within this setting I would have an area and space for families to bring in something’s to share about their cultures. I would not first put out things that I thought represented a culture because it may not be appropriate for that particular family’s culture. Derman-Sparks & Edwards stated “do not show images that depict misinformation or stereotypes about a group-to avoid this, you may have to check with families from that particular group” (2010, p. 45).  I would also have a welcoming word wall saying welcome to our classroom in different culture languages. Again showing that we not only welcome diversity, but we are expecting diversity within our classroom. “An anti-bias environment is also culturally consistent for the children and families it currently serves. In other words, anyone who enters your classroom can tell immediately who is in your program at that time” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 43).

Moreover I would have different materials that reflect diversity, but I would also make changes to the classroom environment when I got to know all the children, and their families much better through open communication, and building relationships. I would also have a “Family culture tree” within the classroom for families to hang their family pictures on showing diversity. Therefore “in addition to seeing themselves in their learning environment, children also need materials that honor diversity both within and beyond their own identity groups. This includes learning materials that accurately and nonstereotypically reflect; all the children, families, and staff in your program in their daily lives” 

(Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 43).
Also in planning my weekly themes I would plan accordingly to all children needs in different areas. I would also make sure that each theme does not offend ones culture or gender. Therefore before planning my curriculum, “I should ask myself, how can I design activities for this topic to include all children, given their differences in culture, family structure, language, racial identity, gender, abilities, and economic class? How can I be sure no one is invisible or unnoticed?” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 47).

Lastly on my parent information board I would have weekly information about anti-bias education information and the pressures it causes or could cause on young children, and their families. In having such information I believe it will help families talk privately among themselves in understanding what they are teaching their children about the value of respect, and respecting others different than themselves for who they are.

Reference
Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,
    I look forward to learning with you in another course. I especially liked your statement in your post about doing some background research about the cultures of children and families represented in the community as a starting point to designing a family child care program with an anti bias curriculum. This is a step often forgotten by many as they begin to design their environment, and it is an important one. Your research will reflect that you care about the children and families in your program, and will help to ensure that every family feels welcome and comfortable, which will pave the way toward mutually respective relationships (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010). I think you are off to a great start!

    Reference
    Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like you stated that you would get to know your families first before setting up. This would allow for your classroom to be authentic to the students you would be working with. I also like how you would have information about anti-bias education on your parent board. That way if they were wanting some information it would be listed for them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete