Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Reflecting On Learning


“Reflecting on Learning”

 In really thinking about my hopes as an early childhood professional, my hope is to make it an obligation to continually search within myself from time to time for any hidden biases that I do not know exist. In doing so I feel I will be being true not only to myself but also keeping it in the fore front of my mind will help me recognize that I can be showing a type of bias toward a family without even realizing it. Therefore through being mindful that such bias can show themselves at any time, toward anyone, I feel will help me stay more alert of my actions toward children, and their families that I work with. In addition to that, I want to be able to encourage children, and their families. To hold strong to their identities. Never give in to others who want them to change. In doing so families will continue to hold on to their family cultures background, beliefs, and values which I believe truly help young children learn about who they are, and others as well as  individuals and within the family as a whole. “As children grow, they move into ever wider and more diverse settings, and we want them to be open to and respectful of all kinds of people they may encounter” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 85).

Lastly, I want to truly thank all of my colleagues for their feedback on the discussion boards, and my blogs throughout these pass eight weeks. I want to also thank all of you for your views, opinions, and truthfulness which gave me a greater insight on the topics we have discussed, and shared while learning about anti-bias education. Furthermore in reading your blogs, and responses on the discussion boards each week I know you all will be great early childhood professionals that will make a change, and a difference in so many children, and their families’ lives. Therefore stay true to who you are, while encouraging others to do the same through being respectful, and accepting of others for who they are.

Thank you everyone, and continue to do much good throughout your lives, and the lives of others.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Edith,
    You’re very welcome and as well thank you for also being part of my learning process in where we all learned from each other and the best part is that even though we are all different, we learned to do it in a respectful manner in where we all encourage and accept each other opinions. That is how we should do with our parents and children. I also love what you said about continually search within you hidden biases. “You can't wait till you know enough. We never know enough. In this arena there's always more to learn” (Laureate Education, Inc. 2011). These are some wise words, we might think that we know all about our students, but there is always something that will teach us a lesson. Thank you again for everything and be the best teacher you could be.




    Reference

    Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Strategies for working with diverse children: Your commitment
    to anti-bias work. Baltimore, MD: Author

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith,
    I too have learned that promoting a child and families culture is important. In doing so the child is forming a positive self identity of themselves and they feel valued and appreciated. We have learned so many wonderful ways to incorporate this into the classroom. I look forward to continuing my learning, trying new things to help my students and families feel welcomed, valued and cared for. Thank you for your help, guidance and support throughout this course! i wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete