Saturday, August 23, 2014


“Professional Hopes and Goals”

The one hope I have when working with children and their families is to make a positive connection with the families while having an understanding that they are different, and that is okay. Therefore I want to learn about what they expect of me and what their needs may be in order that I may help assist them in all ways possible. Furthermore I want the families to feel comfortable working with me while showing that their culture or diverse background will have no effects on how the family or their children will be treated any differently than any other family when it comes to showing full respect for them, and their culture.  

 

Additionally the goal I would like to set for the early childhood field and others about diversity, is that being different is okay and because of your differences, whether by choice or not, does not mean that you should be treated any differently than any other group of people because of your dissimilarities. Moreover, as early childhood professionals we have to make sure that the families that enter their children into our early childhood programs feel that there is equity for them and that all within the program will be shown social justice no matter their culture background or any other differences they may have within their family.    

 

Last of all I would like to thank all of you I have worked with, and learned from with your countless insights, and views on diversity, equity and social justice for all people. I have enjoyed your experiences you have shared, and your help in guiding me to having a better understanding of the overall course through your questions and answers share on our discussion boards. Therefore I thank everyone and look forward to working with you again in the near future.   

 

3 comments:

  1. Edith,

    I really appreciate that your hope came from a different perspective than we usually think about! We spend most of our time asking what we can and should do for the children and their families. It is not very often that we ask what do they expect from us? A diverse perspective, nice job!

    Jenn Pore`

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edith,
    It has been a pleasure reading your discussion and blog posts. I learning more with each class that equity is what is needed from our community and classrooms to ensure every child has the opportunity to obtain a quality education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Edith,

    I agree that we have developed ways to support positive interactions and relationships with children and families we serve. We have learned so much great knowledge to expand our perspectives on diversity and social justice and equity. I wish you continued success on your journey towards your Masters.

    Best Wishes!
    Tierra Jackson

    ReplyDelete