Sunday, October 5, 2014


Strategies to manage and resolve conflict more productively

I recently had a small disagreement with the director of our center on what task are appropriate for members in the prek program to be doing that in other wise is not considered a part of their job description. Normally we do not have a problem in helping out when other parts of the center is shorthanded but we were told specifically not to be doing these things because we work in prek division.  However such task that we are being asked to do, we should not be doing them, and would not be doing them if state or any other higher authority were present.  Even though I do like helping out whenever possible, but I do not like putting my job in jeopardy if something was to happen.

Furthermore I explained my feelings, and situation to the director and asked if there was some way that they could get more help. But she said she would be responsible if something went wrong. But hearing this only made me more aware that she was not taking my feelings or any of the other staff feelings into consideration or hearing what I was saying about being truthful, and honest in what we are doing.

Therefore I feel nothing was solved and I would likely have to look into the CNVC training which states “Nonviolent Communication skills will assist you in dealing with major blocks to communication such as demands, diagnoses and blaming. In CNVC trainings you will learn to express yourself honestly without attacking. This will help minimize the likelihood of facing defensive reactions in others. The skills will help you make clear requests. They will help you receive critical and hostile messages without taking them personally, giving in, or losing self-esteem. These skills are useful with family, friends, students, subordinates, supervisors, co-workers and clients, as well as with your own internal dialogues”.

Reference


 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Edith,

    I too found myself in the same situation with my former boss. The situation you are in is very hard. If you approach your director at a later date and let things clam down she may see your point of view and change her opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trainings like this can be helpful for everyone within an early childhood organization. Do you think that your center would be willing to pay for a training like the nonviolent conflict resolution training for you and your colleagues? It sounds like it could be really useful!
    RB

    ReplyDelete